March 13, 2020
Transportation Department IAMAW
International Administrative Vice President
Transport Workers Union of America
Dear Tim and Mike:
We are pleased the Company and the Association have been able to come to an
agreement regarding a voluntary leave of absence (VLOA) option for eligible Association represented employees for 2020.
The following represents the terms and conditions of the VLOA:
1. Eligibility: Absent exceptions required by law, employees that have completed
their probationary period and are in an "active status" as of March 12, 2020 shall
be eligible to bid for this extended VLOA option. Active status for purposes of
this agreement is defined as an employee on payroll receiving pay from the
2. The Company will determine the duration and total number of VLOAs, as well as
the work groups and locations where the VLOAs will be offered. VLOAs will be
awarded by seniority order within workgroups and by location where the VLOAs
are offered. The starting dates of the VLOAs will be determined by the Company.
3. An election window will be open for a period of one week.
4. Once granted, the VLOA must be accepted by the employee. Based on
operational needs the Company may cancel or reduce the duration of a VLOA,
with at least 60 days' notice to the Association and the impacted employee(s). If
the Company cancels or reduces a VLOA(s), the employee(s) will be brought
back to work in reverse seniority order.5. Any accrued vacation for use in 2020, not used as a result of an employee's VLOA, will be paid out the following year under the terms of the applicable
collective bargaining agreement.
6. The VLOA shall be unpaid but the employee shall be treated as if on active status
for all Occupational, Classification, Company, and Pay seniority. However, an
employee on a VLOA shall not continue to accrue sick or vacation time.
7. An employee on a VLOA shall continue to be eligible for non-revenue travel
privileges provided to active team members.
8. An employee on a VLOA shall be eligible for medical, dental & vision coverage,
life insurance or AD&D benefits at active team member rates. During a VLOA,
an employee will be responsible for payment of the employee portion of all
premiums, which will be direct-billed to the employee. An employee's failure to
make timely premium payments may result in the loss of coverage, subject to the·
Company's regular premium collection process.
9. An employee will return to the employee's classification and location at the
conclusion of the VLOA. The employee will not be eligible to bid for transfers
while on the VLOA.
10. If the Company receives a request for information from a state or local agency
with responsibility for unemployment compensation claims, the Company will
respond by providing factually accurate information regarding an employee's
status. However the Company will not actively contest an employee's claim for
unemployment compensation benefits.
11. For up to one year following the effective date of this agreement, the Company
may offer additional VLOAs under the terms of this agreement.
This is a one-time limited agreement and shall not constitute precedent for any purpose
Furthermore, it does not change, alter, or modify the provisions of any of the 2012
TWU/AA collective bargaining agreements or the 2014 IAM/AA collective bargaining
agreements, or the Leave of Absence provisions of the governing collective bargaining
agreements to be ratified on March 26, 2020 and in effect at the time the VLOA is taken
except as provided herein. If the Association agrees, please confirm by signing below
2020 Mar 12 Klima Mayes VLOA 2020 - TWU-IAM Association.pdf